Thursday, March 22, 2007

On my way to the ABA Techshow

The 2h30 flight was scheduled for 2:30 pm. I was heading for a dinner with Justice Shira Sheidlin, the Zubulake judge and Key note speaker at the Techshow, and Dan Pinnington, the Techshow’s chairman (thanks for the invitation!).

After boarding the plane, 1:30 late, we were taxied from the gate to the de-icing parking where we were told we didn’t have permission to fly to Chicago because there was a thunderstorm. United Express offered us a complimentary soft drink…

Around 5, they once again confirmed we still had no permission. Again at 6, 6:30 (where the offered a complimentary soft drink) and 7. A full hour later, we were told that would had permission to leave at 8:30. We were once again offered a free drink and after sitting for 6 hours on the tarmac, I asked for a beer: 5$! Can’t it be free after such a long waiting period? I am starving and there is not even a pack of crackers available on that damn flight!

Anyway, I missed the dinner (and the opportunity), arrived in Chicago around 11pm, walk for about an hour through the huge airport (I am glad I only had carry-on items!), looked for a cab and realised there was a line of about 500 people doing the same thing. An hour later, I was in cab for the 25 minutes ride to the Hyatt (there was no place at the Sheraton). Finally, I went to bed at 2 am EST. I was happy that Chicago is Central, because I had an extra hour of sleep!

On my way to the Techshow…

No comments: